I had an interview a little while ago with Lingua Franca, a language-teaching school on University Avenue ( Hah. ) in Chihuahua. It went awfully well. I have to go back tomorrow to sit in on a class an bring in my resume, but the guy who interviewed me really wants me to work there so he's already scheduled me to come in for training for four days next week. There is potential for a lot of money, but it requires being assigned clients. Lingua Franca has contracts with several businesses that do work with English-speaking clients in Chihuahua. Those businesses will go through Lingua Franca to teach their employees English. I would essentially work one-on-one with businessmen and women to teach them upper-level English ( I can't teach fundamentals because in that case it's necessary to speak Spanish well enough to explain grammar, and that's out of the question ), being paid by the hour ( $10, which is unbelievable here. ). Problem is, I have to have enough clients and build a reputation before I really start reeling in the dough. In any case, I don't plan on turning it down if it works out. All the same, I have another interview at 5:00 tonight at another school, so I might have that to back me up.
After that 5:00 interview, I'm moving out. It's on to the new place, the casita. Which, apparently translates to "little house." "Ita/ito" is a suffix that indicates cuteness or "little-ness." I was supposed to move there tomorrow, but the family I'm staying with is going on a little road trip tomorrow morning and won't be able to relocate me then. I'd have to say the most obnoxious part about moving is that I haven't met my roommate yet. So tonight, I'm just going to be swinging open the door with my suitcases in hand and waving hello. It's going to be awkward.
Wait. That's not the most obnoxious part. The most obnoxious part is that I don't know if he has the internet there. If not, I'm going to have to bus to places with a WiFi connection in order to sign online and communicate with the outside world. I hope he has it connected already, but if not, I plan on getting it even if it means I have to eat celery sticks for the next few months to afford it. God.. what did people do 20 years ago? I feel the same fear going into an internet-less environment as I do when I lose my cell phone.
Anyway, if it takes me a little while to post again, that's why. The good news is that by the time I do, I should probably have something a little less mundane to talk about.
Adios, compadres.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment