Monday, October 1, 2007

This is what's up.

In a mere 4 days I'll have been in Mexico for 2 months. Crazy, or what? I can't decide whether it's gone by in a flash, or if it feels like forever. On one hand, everything is entirely familiar now. It feels like home. I've established a routine and the newness has subsided into a settled comfort. And arriving here seems like an eternity ago. On the other hand, where the hell did the time go?

Last week was midterms for my classes. It sounds a little more haughty than it really is, since the courses are only 6 weeks long. In any case, they all whizzed through them with flying colors. I can't say how proud I am of my little students, learning present perfect and present perfect continuous and all that. In several cases, the sentences they put together were flawless. I don't think I could have been happier. It almost breaks my heart that the courses are so short; I've grown very fond of all of them. Even the first class.

The Spanish is moving right along. Slow but steady, and that's just fine with me. I have a couple of friends here who speak no English at all, so it forces me to utilize all of the Spanish I've got. And they're very decent about it. Patient, understanding, politely correcting my mistakes. It makes it easier, and I'm pretty darned grateful.

I wish I had something to really write about, like an event, but I've been kind of exhausted this last week and haven't written when I should, so most things seem like a blur now. A few bars, a couple of movies ( Stardust and Knocked Up ( for my second time -- I saw it in the U.S., too ), classes. That pretty much covers it. They were all interesting events, but I let them sink too far into the past and now the details have dulled.

No comments: