Disclaimer: This is what I was told. I'm writing what I know, without any additional research past what the young lady from here in Mexico told me. If for any reason any of my knowledge is incorrect, I'm really sorry. Please feel absolutely free to correct me.
It apparently began with the Aztecs. The leader of a tribe of Aztecs had a vision -- the place where an eagle feasts on a snake on a cactus would mark the Promised Land. He rounded up his crew and they embarked on a pilgrimage in search of this land that would grant them happiness.
They eventually happened upon an enormous lake, near the middle of which was an eagle perched on a cactus feasting on a snake. They stopped there based on the leader's vision and created their land out of the lake. They farmed from the edge of the lake, slowly filling in what was water with soil until eventually the lake was replaced with farmed land. This would eventually become Mexico City.
The girl I was talking to was convinced that the vision and its discovery is a legend, but it's apparently true that Mexico City is built on top of a lake. From what I understand, shortly after Mexico's Independence Day in 1821, its current official flag was chosen based on this legend. The green on the flag stands for the independence movement and peace and hope. The white stands for purity. And the red stands for the Spaniards who joined in the quest for independence as well as for the blood of the national heroes.
Personally, I'm rather fascinated by the whole deal. It screams culture and national pride. Yet at the same time, I've yet to encounter any insane, right-wing patriots. Only people who carry their own blood with a humble pride. There's a beautiful story painted in three blocks of color and a seal. I understand it's likely to be the same with every flag, but I'm here now and immersed in it all and I'm hooked on the gentle fire of it all.
Flag - "la bandera"
THIS, is a "banderita", a "little flag". Called so because of the green ( lime juice ), white ( tequila ) and red ( Sangria ), taken in that order. And it's also delicious.

3 comments:
Mmmm...I could go for una bandera. :)
It was good. Well, actually, that night was the night I went out to put the tequila-kills-a-cold theory to test, so I was sick and could barely taste it. But there was the sour of the lime, the burn of the tequila, and then the sweet and spicy of the Sangria. As far as flavors go, I couldn't tell ya. (c:
Ah, the tequila-kills-a-cold night. I see. Guess it's time to give it another go...assuming you're well now.
Heck have two, one for me. :)
Post a Comment